Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Scunthorpe United 0-1 Newport County

22 January 2022

Courtney Baker-Richardson's second-half header earned Newport our second win on the spin with a 1-0 victory over struggling Scunthorpe.

County completely controlled the first half, but it went without reward. Baker-Richardson struck early in the second half though to get Newport the deserved three points.

The first chance of the game was only a half one, as Ryan Haynes' cross from the left picked out Dom Telford in the area but his side-foot volley with his left foot on the turn was pushed away by Rory Watson.

Scunthorpe's one chance of the first half saw Tom Pugh hit the post two minutes later but that was it for the Iron in the opening 45.

Oli Cooper struck wide from distance before Mickey Demetriou struck a volley over the bar from inside the area as Newport began to properly assert themselves onto the game.

County's dominance really started to kick into gear on 21 minutes when Liverpool loanee Jake Cain struck a fierce shot from outside the left of the box which Watson did well to push away. 

Watson then did well to push away Finn Azaz's well-struck shot from the edge of the box and two minutes later Demetriou hit the bar with a header from Cooper's corner.

Only a minute after that, County were at it again as Azaz's cross from the left was flicked on by the head of Telford who forced the latest fine save out of Watson who pushed it behind for another corner.

In the 29th minute, Azaz hit an astonishing volley that an inspired Watson parried over the bar as the assault on his goal continued.

The Newport domination continued when Cooper was brought down in the box for a County penalty, but Demetriou struck the left-hand post with his effort from 12 yards.

Demetriou redeeemed himself soon after though by making a superb sliding challenge to deny Harry Bunn a shot on goal during a promising Scunthorpe counter. The tackle led to Bunn being replaced with an injury.

The half then closed out with Cooper striking a Paolo Di Canio-esque volley wide of the near post.

Scunthorpe had the first chance of note in the second half, but Sam Burns struck a fair way over the bar from distance.

County finally got the lead their play deserved in the 56th minute when Baker-Richardson headed in Cooper's free-kick from the right to make it 1-0 to Newport.

The hosts tried to get themselves level with a Mason O'Malley free-kick, but he curled that over the bar shortly beyond the hour.

Scunthorpe had a golden opportunity to level the game with a penalty of their own after Wolves loanee Luke Matheson had his shirt pulled in the area 20 minutes from the end.

Sub Myles Hippolyte stepped up but saw his penalty saved by Nick Townsend who dived to his left to push it away.

The closing stages of the game was settled by half-chances with Azaz, Haynes and Cooper all coming close to doubling the lead to settle the contest while the penalty miss seemed to suck the life out of the hosts, who didn't trouble Townsend again after that.

Scunthorpe United: Rory Watson, Mason O'Malley, George Taft, Manny Onariase, Jai Rowe (Jordan Hallam '88), Harry Bunn (Myles Hippolyte '43), Tom Pugh (Harry Wood '78), Harry Davis (C), Alex Perry, Sam Burns, Luke Matheson

Subs not used: Tom Collins, Alfie Beestin, Dan Gallimore, Harry Lewis

Newport County: Nick Townsend, Cameron Norman, Josh Pask (James Clarke '72), Mickey Demetriou (C), Ryan Haynes, Scot Bennett, Jake Cain, Finn Azaz, Oliver Cooper (Matt Dolan '88), Dom Telford (James Waite '90), Courtney Baker-Richardson

Subs not used: Joe Day, Robbie Willmott, Alex Fisher, Aaron Lewis

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account