Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/11/2014

8 November 2014

Match Reports

Match Report : 08/11/2014

8 November 2014

Match Report: Luton Town 4-2 County

Newport County AFC are out of The FA Cup after a first round defeat to Luton Town at Kenilworth Road on Saturday afternoon. County come from behind on two occasions thanks to goals from Yan Klukowski and Aaron O'Connor, but two goals late on for the Hatters was enough to win the tie.

The game started brightly with County managing the first chance on goal, Curtis Obeng's shot from inside the area was safely gathered by Tyler in the Luton goal. Luton's Michael Harriman latched onto the end of a dangerous cross but his header was safely over the bar.

Luton continued to press as Paul Benson's flick across goal was inches away from breaking the deadlock. Luke Guttridge was next to go close for the hosts as his shot clipped the top of the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

The game then swung in County's favour as Chris Zebroski was clean through on goal but his shot was sliced wide of the target. Just minutes later Zebroski was next to go close, his shot flew across the face of goal and behind for a corner, with Aaron O'Connors overhead kick held by the Hatters keeper.

With five minutes to go until half time Luton got the breakthrough, Luke Guttridge picking up the ball in the middle of the County half and dispatching his shot into the top left hand corner. 

Into the second half and County started brightly, Ismail Yakubu's header from a County corner was cleared off the line by the Hatters defence and away for a corner. Just two minutes later the County's pressure was rewarded. Yan Klukowski controlling well in the area to volley the ball home and level the tie on fifty one minutes.

Luton looked to reply instantly as Harriman's shot missed everyone and went out for a County throw. Just five minutes after drawing level County were behind, Luton's Paul Benson heading home from close range following a point blank save by Day. 

The lead lasted less than ten minutes, Curtis Obeng's cross following good work down the left hand side found Aaron O'Connor as his header levelled the tie once more. But with thirteen minutes remaining substitute Ricky Miller finished from a Luton corner to give the Hatters the lead.

County continued to push for the equaliser and force a replay, James Loveridge curling his shot just wide of the upright in the last five minutes. But as County pressed for an equaliser Luton's Jake Howells scored the fourth and final goal with a breakaway goal. County continued to press as Aaron O'Connor headed towards goal only to see Mark Tyler somehow claw the ball out and away for a corner.

FULL TIME: Luton Town 4-2 Newport County

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account