Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

County Visit Stanley

27 March 2015

Match Reports

County Visit Stanley

27 March 2015

County win at Accrington

Newport County AFC visited Accrington Stanley on Friday night coming away with a 2-0 win, after second half goals from Aaron O'Connor and Shaun Jeffers.

County started the game brightly and with less than 30 seconds into the game, Aaron O'Connor nearly broke the deadlock, but the Stanley keeper saved well and behind for a corner.

Andy Sandell was next to go close for County as his header whistled over the bar and away for a goal kick. County were forced into an early substitution just twenty minutes into the game as David Tutonda replaced Ryan Jackson.

The game continued with very little chances for either side and the game being played in the middle of the park. With ten minutes to go before half time Joe Day saved well and pushed the ball away to safety, receiving treatment not long after the save. Joyce was next to try his luck for Accrington shooting from distance but the ball was wide.

HALF TIME: Accrington 0-0 County

County were forced into a second substitution as Jamie Stephens replaced Joe Day at the start of the second half. The County substitute was called into action just three minutes in, safely gathering the ball at the first time of asking.

Then came the breakthrough in the game, Max Porter floating in a cross from the left hand side, Aaron O'Connor running across the front of the keeper, who put the ball into the back of his own net to spark celebrations for the County faithful.

With twenty minutes to go Shaun Jeffers replaced Miles Storey. Jamie Stephens was once again tested as Gornell shot from a tight angle, with the County stopper holding on to the ball to clear any danger.

McCartan then tried his luck on goal, his effort sailing past the post and safely behind for a goal kick to County. The next test for the defence saw the ball flash across the face of goal with Darren Jones clearing away to safety.

As the fourth official signalled three minutes of stoppage time, nobody could of expected the frantic end to the game. Accrington began to press for an equaliser, County managed to break away in the fifth minute of stoppage time, Ismail Yakubu making a run from his own area to play the ball through to Shaun Jeffers who slotted home into an empty net to seal the three points for County.

FULL TIME: Accrington 0-2 County

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account