Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Newport County 1-1 Mansfield Town

19 February 2022

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Newport County 1-1 Mansfield Town

19 February 2022

Newport and Mansfield shared the spoils at Rodney Parade with Dom Telford's penalty earning County a point.

A deflected strike from Stephen McLaughlin gave Mansfield the lead before Telford's spot-kick levelled matters late on.

Mansfield were down to 10 from the 73rd minute onwards due to John-Joe O'Toole's red card for strangling Courtney Baker-Richardson.

Mansfield had the first chance of note in the eighth minute but Newcastle loanee Matty Longstaff had his effort from inside the area comfortably saved by Nick Townsend.

The Stags came close soon after when Stephen Quinn's effort got a knick off Lucas Akins and went wide of the right-hand post.

Dom Telford had County's first effort at goal but he could only find the side netting from a tight angle on the left of the box after a long punt downfield evaded everyone apart from Telford who latched onto it.

George Maris then struck over the bar before Quinn hit a volley from a tight angle high and wide.

County's next good chance came just before the half-hour mark when Telford knocked the ball into Courtney Baker-Richardson's direction who flicked the ball over the on-rushing Nathan Bishop but unfortunately also over the bar for a Mansfield goal kick.

Elliot Hewitt and Quinn would then shoot attempts over the County goal with Finn Azaz responding by slicing wide of the left-hand post from the edge of the area.

Townsend was needed to make an impressive save to push away a shot from Stephen McLaughlin from the left of the box and he also brilliantly denied Akins with good reactions to tip away his attempt at goal.

Newport had the first major opening of the second half, but Azaz's shot from the edge of the box after a nice move lacked power and Bishop saved with relative ease.

Quinn meanwhile carried on from where he left off in the first half by shooting over the bar, this time from the edge of the area.

Mansfield took the lead in the 68th minute when McLaughlin's strike from range took a big deflection off County's Josh Pask and in for 0-1.

That sparked the game into life as with just over 15 minutes remaining John-Joe O'Toole was shown a straight red card for his involvement in a brawl.

Then, in the final 10 minutes, a handball in the box led to a County penalty which Telford slotted home low into the bottom left corner, sending Bishop in the Mansfield goal the wrong way.

County almost won all three points in the closing stages with James Waite and Mickey Demetriou both striking narrowly wide of each post while Azaz had a shot saved and Aaron Lewis volleyed over the bar, but Newport had to settle for a point.

Newport County: Nick Townsend, Aaron Lewis, Josh Pask, Mickey Demetriou, Ryan Haynes (Cameron Norman '45), Scot Bennett, Jake Cain (James Waite '76), Matt Dolan (C) (Robbie Willmott '45), Finn Azaz, Dom Telford, Courtney Baker-Richardson

Subs not used: Joe Day, James Clarke, Cameron Norman, Robbie Willmott, James Waite, Lewis Collins, Rob Street

Mansfield Town: Nathan Bishop, Elliott Hewitt, John-Joe O'Toole, Ollie Hawkins, Stephen McLaughlin, Matty Longstaff (Jordan Bowery '83), Ollie Clarke (C), George Maris (Ferrand Rawson '75), Ryan Stirk, Stephen Quinn (Kieran Wallace '83), Lucas Akins

Subs not used: Marek Stech, James Perch, Jason Law, Danny Johnson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account