Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Carlisle United 1-2 Newport County

15 March 2022

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Carlisle United 1-2 Newport County

15 March 2022

Mickey Demetriou and Finn Azaz goals secured Newport their third win in a row with a well-earned victory at Carlisle on Tuesday night.

Demetriou's header put County 1-0 up after quarter of an hour and Finn Azaz made it 2-0 to Newport 25 minutes from time.

Omari Patrick struck for Carlisle with 10 minutes to go but County held on for victory number three in a row.

The game started slowly at Brunton Park, with the first attempt at goal not coming until the ninth minute, and it left a lot to be desired with Dom Telford heading Ryan Haynes' cross high and wide of the Carlisle goal.

Azaz forced the first save of the game, but it was mere practice for Mark Howard in the Carlisle goal who held Azaz's daisy cutter from the edge of the box.

Demetriou was pinpoint though with a fine header inside the area that beat Howard and nestled into the bottom left corner.

Telford tried to make it 2-0 three minutes later however his shot from the edge of the box was deflected into the arms of Howard.

Howard had more work to do just before the half-hour mark when he spilled James Waite's shot into a dangerous area but a Carlisle defender got in ahead of Rob Street, who would've tucked in the rebound without fuss if he got there first.

Carlisle's only chance of note in the first half saw Jordan Gibson strike wide from the edge of the box. The half ended with Telford having a shot deflected wide with the corner cleared by Carlisle.

Newport almost made it 2-0 in the 51st minute, but Street headed wide from close range after James Clarke hit the bar.

Rod McDonald came close for Carlisle with a half-volleyed attempt from a corner, as that went narrowly over the bar and Omari Patrick had a header saved by Nick Townsend with the Cumbrians pushing for the leveller.

Azaz had a strong drive in his efforts to double County's lead but Howard made an impressive diving save to keep out the midfielder's half-volley from distance on the turn from a throw-in on the left.

That man did succeed in making it 2-0 on 65 minutes though by thumping home first-time after a trademark County counter-attack ended with Lewis Collins crossing in low from the right of the box for Azaz who finished expertly to double County's lead.

Carlisle did what they could to mount a comeback, with second-half substitute Tyrese Omotoye blasting wide of Townsend's goal from a tight angle before Patrick made it 1-2 with 10 minutes to go.

Azaz almost killed the game four minutes from time with a move all of his own doing. After winning the ball high up the pitch, he shrugged off a challenger but his side-foot shot was kept out by Howard and Carlisle regained their shape.

Carlisle United: Mark Howard, Rod McDonald, Dynel Simeu, Joe Riley, Callum Guy (C), Brennan Dickenson, Morgan Feeney, Tobi Sho-Silva (Kristian Dennis '68), Jordan Gibson (Danny Devine '68), Mitch Roberts (Tyrese Omotoye '54), Omari Patrick

Subs not used: Magnus Norman, Jack Armer, Jon Mellish, Corey Whelan

Newport County: Nick Townsend, Cameron Norman, James Clarke (Aaron Lewis '75), Mickey Demetriou, Ryan Haynes, Scot Bennett, Matt Dolan, Finn Azaz, James Waite, Dom Telford (Lewis Collins '59), Rob Street (Alex Fisher '89)

Subs not used: Joe Day, Jack Karadogan, Kevin Ellison, Timmy Abraham

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account