Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 16/08/2014

16 August 2014

Morcambe 3-2 County

Newport County AFC traveled to the Globe Arena on Saturday afternoon to face a Morecambe side who found themselves top of the league after the first round of Sky Bet Football League 2 fixtures. First half goals from Aaron O'Connor and Adam Chapman wasn't enough to win the points, as a second half comeback from the Shrimps with two goals from Kevin Ellison and one from Paul Mullin secured the three points for Morecambe.

County started brightly as the first half began, Robbie Willmotts cross found Adam Chapman on 17 minutes, but his header ended up just wide of the target. Lenny Pidgeley was called into action five minutes laters as he got down well to save from Ryan Williams' free kick.

Lee Minshull was next to strike for County as he found space in the area after a well worked move by County, unfortunately he couldn't keep it down as Roche watched it safely over the bar. County were piling on the pressure and it paid off as the ball fell to Adam Chapman on the edge of the box, his strike finding it's way through a crowded penalty area to nestle into the back of the net. Just moments later it was two, Aaron O'Connor found himself with space from close range and duly applied the finish from close range.

County continued were they left off as the second half started, Robbie Willmott's shot from range deflected wide for a corner which was eventually cleared by Morecambe. Just before the hour mark County gave away a free kick in a dangerous position, Kevin Ellison stepped up and applied the finish into the top left hand corner. Just six minutes later Morecambe were level, a mix up at the back meant the ball fell to Kevin Ellison who headed home the equlaliser from close range. 

County rallied to regain the lead as Minshull's shot was defelected wide for a corner, before Sandell's effort curled just wide of the mark. With six minutes remaining of the ninety Morecambe took the lead for the first time in the game, as substitute Paul Mullin headed home from six yards out to complete the comeback. 

As the referee blew the final whistle it was disappointment for County, Justin Edinburgh commented after the game "after a very good start and a very good opening forty five minutes, a typical case of shooting yourself in the foot really, we gave away unnecessary free kicks and invited unnecessary pressure on and ended up being so deep that the decisions we were making were the wrong ones and we paid for it."

Advertisement block