MATCH REPORT: County 1-0 Coventry

MATCH REPORT: County 1-0 Coventry

Newport County AFC continued their unbeaten run in pre-season with a 1-0 win over Coventry City on Tuesday night. Ismail Yakubu headed home from close range to give County a well deserved win.

County started brightly but it was Coventry who had the first chance of the game as Billy Daniels shot from 18 yards sailed over the cross bar just two minutes in. A teasing cross from Andy Sandell flashed across the front of goal somehow evading everyone as we reached ten minutes. Mark Byrne then struck from distance as Allsop failed to hold onto the ball first time round before gathering on the second attempt. 20 minutes into the match Shaun Jeffers had a shot from distance that deflected out to the right wing, the delivery in found Lee Minshull whose flick on found Yakubu at the far post who only had one thing in mind as he headed home from close range. Just moments later County nearly made it two as Klukowski's powerful shot went inches wide. 

Coventry went close on 33 minutes as a corner found its way to Andrew Webster whose header ended up going wide of the mark. Chris Zebroski was next to try his luck for County but his header was just off target. Just five minutes before the break Ismail Yakubu looked like he was going to make it a double, as the ball found its way through a crowd only for Allsop to somehow tip the ball round the post for a County corner. The Sky Blues then went close to leveling the scores as Miller found himself one on one with Pidgeley, the County stopper was down at the feet of Miller in a flash to smother the ball. 

Two changes at half time for County as Adam Chapman and Rene Howe came on replacing Klukowski and Jolley. On 53 minutes Sandell's corner found Minshull whose header went just past the goal. Minshull was involved again just a minute later as his pass played in Rene Howe whose curling effort was narrowly wide. Coventry started to pile on the pressure as we were reaching the hour mark, George Thomas found himself one on one but his effort was just wide. While the County defense held strong blocking several shots in and around the box. 

Jeffers shot caught the Coventry keeper off guard as he failed to hold onto the ball, but the Coventry defense done well to clear to safety. As we neared the last twenty minutes Robbie Willmott and Aaron O'Connor came off the bench to replace Ryan Jackson and Shaun Jeffers. Rene Howe was next to test the Coventry keeper as his header was pushed away for a Corner. With just 15 minutes left Chris Zebroski managed to break away but his shot found the safety of the keepers arms. 

Barton's effort was well saved by Pidgeley at full stretch. Fantastic play by County on 85 minutes as Willmotts cross found Minshull at the far post whose header was celebrated by the majority of the crowd but unfortunately it was into the side netting. Joe Parker came on to replace Chris Zebroski late on, while with just two minutes left Robbie Willmott cut in from the right hand side to shoot only to see his effort deflected onto the post. 

The referee blew the full time whistle to confirm another win and clean sheet for County. Manager Justin Edinburgh was pleased with the performance and commented "A very tough game against very tough opposition, the manner and the way we played, we certainly pressed Coventry for long periods of time which was very very pleasing, again we were going through the gears and doing it very well."