Match Report : 29/11/2014

MATCH REPORT: County win up north

County continued their good form on Saturday afternoon with a long trip up north to visit Brunton Park home of Carlisle United. Manager Justin Edinburgh made two changes to the side that earned three points away to Bury a week ago. Goalkeeper Jamie Stephens replaced Joe Day in goals, while Ryan Jackson replaced Curtis Obeng in the starting line up.

County started brightly, but it was Carlisle who had the first real chance of the game, Ryan Jackson clearing from inside his six yard box and away for a corner which was cleared by Klukowski. 

Klukowski was involved just moments later, Chris Zebroski picking up the ball on the half way line and turning well to get away from the defender. Zebroski's cross was perfectly placed for the on coming Klukowski whose glancing header was guided perfectly into the bottom left hand corner to put County ahead.

Just three minutes later Ryan Jackson found himself in front of goal, his volley was saved at close range, with the shot rebounding onto the post and falling agonisingly close to the feet of Aaron O'Connor, Zebroski then shot but it was tipped over the bar and away for a corner.

Carlisle's Brough was next to have an attempt at goal, firing his effort over from inside the 18 yard box. For a brief moment County found themselves 2-1 down, but thankfully this was just on the electronic scoreboard as County were in control on the pitch. 

Hanford then had to be at his best to deny Zebroski as his first time shot was saved and held. As we passed the half hour mark, Andrew Hughes had an audacious shot from distance, the ball sailing over the crossbar and away for a goal kick.

Ismail Yakubu was next to try for County, Lee Minshull's cross meeting the County defender at the back post, but his volley was over the bar. Aaron O'Connor also going close from a County corner.

HALF TIME: Carlisle 0-1 County

County were in control during the first half but would have been weary of the counter attack with a 1-0 lead, but no sooner had we kicked off County had doubled their lead. Sandell's corner causing trouble for the Carlisle defence and finding Yakubu at the far post who headed County into a 2-0 lead.

With 52 minutes on the clock Carlisle managed to pull one back, Potts finding space in the area and finding the bottom corner to make it Carlisle 1-2 County. Carlisle were then inches away from levelling the game, a dangerous cross flashed across goal but both Carlisle players missing the ball at the far post.

Substitue Mark Byrne looked to make an instant impact just after coming on, his shot just going wide of the target. County midfielder Lee Minshull was in a great position to clear off the line with just 15 minutes remaining. Carlisle were pushing for an equaliser, a dangerous free kick had Jamie Stephens at full stretch to push it away for a corner.

With 10 minutes remaining County made a double substitution with Max Porter and Aaron O'Connor making way for Adam Chapman & Shaun Jeffers and it was Jeffers who was next to go close for County.

Jeffers found himself just two yards out but his effort was somehow scooped over the bar after pressure from the Carlisle defence. Jeffers looked lively and found himself out wide with plenty of space, he then pulled his shot back to Minshull on the edge of the area but his effort was blocked by the Carlisle defence. 

Into the 90th minute and with six minutes signalled by the referee, Andy Sandell found his way into the box, his shot pushed away and then cleared by the defence. As Carlisle continued to push, substitute Shaun Jeffers broke away and into the area, one on one with the keeper and slotted calmly into the bottom corner and send the County fans wild! 

But it wasn't over quite yet with another four minutes of injury time remaining and into the 4th minute of stoppage time Jamie Stephens pulled off a double save to keep the score at 3-1 in County's favour.

With 97 minutes on the clock David Amoo pulled one back for the hosts seconds before the referee blew the final whistle, to confirm County's second away win on the bounce and to continue a good run of 1 loss in the last 16 games in League Two.

FULL TIME: Carlisle 2-3 County