Match Report : 11/10/2014

MATCH REPORT: County 3-1 York

Newport County AFC came from behind on Saturday afternoon to seal a 3-1 victory against 10 man York City at Rodney Parade. Second half goals from Andrew Hughes, Chris Zebroski and Darren Jones sealed the victory after De Girolamo put York ahead.

York started the brighter and found themselves ahead within eight minutes as a quickly taken free kick caught County off guard, Diego De Girolamo cutting inside to put his deflected shot past Joe Day for the opening goal of the afternoon.

County looked to reply instantly as Yan Klukowski's header at the far post found it's way safely into the hand of Ingram. Robbie Willmott's cross flashed across goal just five minutes later, Ingram pushing the ball away to safety. County kept pushing to try and level the match, James Loveridge was next to try his luck from distance as his shot ended up over the bar. The next chance fell to Chris Zebroski in the last minute of the half as his header at the far post was somehow kept out by Ingram, who managed to put it over for a County corner.

Robbie Willmott was replaced by Mike Flynn at the start of the second half. Just seconds into the half York were down to ten men, Russ Penn picking up his second booking of the game following a challenge on Lee Minshull straight from kick off.

With 52 minutes on the clock Andrew Hughes pulled the sides level. Hughes, back from suspension, worked his way to the edge of the box and fired his shot off the post and in to make it 1-1. Just a minute later Hughes went for his second goal of the game, but this time his header was saved by substitutes keeper Jason Mooney.

Max Porter made his return from injury just before the half hour mark, as he replaced Scott Tancock. On the hour mark York somehow survived a goal mouth scramble, the ball ricocheting around the six yard box but eventually cleared for a corner.

On 65 minutes Chris Zebroski put County ahead, gathering a loose pass from Mooney, rounding the York stopper and slot the ball home, a well worked goal from County's number 11.

The three points and three goals were sealed on 72 minutes with a wonder strike from Darren Jones, an early contender for goal of the season, the County centre back finishing from distance to send the home crowd wild.

County continued to press for a four, Lee Minshull's flick on from a County corner found Aaron O'Connor and Ismail Yakubu, with the ball just passing Mooney's right hand post. But three it remained and County completed the turn around in the second half and claimed the three points.