Newport County returned to Rodney Parade, looking to bounce back after their 1-0 away defeat to Yeovil Town, against top of the table Plymouth Argyle, in Graham Westley’s first home game in charge of the Exiles, on an emotional afternoon in the Welsh city.

Before the start of the game, Rodney Parade fell silent, to commemorate the 50 year anniversary of the tragedy of Aberfan. Representatives from both Newport County and Plymouth Argyle, laid wreaths, either side of the match ball, before a well respected minutes silence.   

And as soon as the game kicked off, the Newport team had the first chance of the game, as Jordan Green picked up the ball just outside the penalty area, but flashed the ball over Mccormick’s goal.   

Then it was Plymouth’s turn to go close, having a strong spell of position for the league leaders, Argyle forward Craig Tanner hit a shot wide of Joe Day’s Goal. 

Then this end-to-end game, swayed into the home sides favour yet again, as Sean Rigg had a flash shot blocked by a Plymouth defender.   

After a pulsating first 30 minutes, there was little to spilt the two teams, there was a clear added edge and verger to the Exiles, clearly responding to the change in the man at the top.   

In the 35th minute, it was Plymouth’s time to grasp a chance at goal, with a period of dominant play in the middle of the park, the ball was played into the penalty area, to, Jordan Slew who was tripped by an on rushing Joe Day, who in turn conceded the penalty, and was sent off.  

A coolly stroked penalty by Plymouth number 10, Graham Carey, into the bottom right hand corner of the net, gave Argyle a 1-0 lead.

NEWPORT 0-1 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE- (Graham Carey, 38th minute) 


A quick start to the second half to the game, with with the first shot on target, curtsey of the boot of Jon Parkin, but it was comfortable pluck out of the air by Argyle keeper Luke McCormick.

The next chance came for the Exiles in the 51st minute, a clipped ball in to the path on Jon Parkin, who lobbed the Plymouth goalkeeper from around 30 yards, into the back of the net, for his 375th career goal for the 34 year old veteran. 

NEWPORT 1-1 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE- (Jon Parkin, 51stt minute) 

The next chance came to Plymouth Argyle, with Jordan Slew getting tripped by Darren Jones, and the ref giving a second penalty.

Which was powerfully struck by Graham Carey, for his second goal from the spot.

NEWPORT 1-2 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE- (Graham Carey, 54th minute) 


The league leaders continued to pile on the pressure, and almost made it count, through a pot shot from Graham Carey, but fired it straight into the hands of Bittner. 

A poor County corner in the 77th minute resulted in a quick counter attack by Plymouth Argyle, with Graham Carey feeding the ball from the right hand side to Jordan Slew, in the middle of an empty Exiles penalty, who slotted past Bittner.

NEWPORT 1-3 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE- (Jordan Slew, 77th minute) 


In the 85th minute, County where able to grab themselves a corner, which was whipped right on the head of a loose Ben Tozer, who was only able to flash his header wide of McCormick’s goal. 

It was Argyle, though, who had the next chance of the game, with a neat one-two between Songo’o and Slew, who found it left of the net, but saw his shot saved by Bittner, right down to his left side of his post.


Newport County: Day, Barnum-Bobb, Jones, Parkin (Healey, 62nd), Green (Compton, 76th), Sheehan (Bittner 37th), Bennett (c), Cameron, Rigg, Grego-Cox

Subs not used: Butler, Randall, Myrie-Williams , Wood

Yellows: Barnum-Bobb (18th) Grego-Cox (24th) Cameron (32nd) Healey (93rd)

Reds: Day (36th) 

Plymouth Argyle: Mccormick (c), Miller, Songo’o, Bulvitis, Slew, Spencer (Donaldson, 84th), Carey, Bradley, Purrington, Fox (Smith, 72nd), Tanner (Jervis, 63rd)

Subs not used: Dorel, Goodwille, Osborne, Ijaha  

Yellows: Spencer (81st)

Reds: None 

Referee: Michael Salisbury 

Attendance: 3,416 (Away 1,067)

Tweets by @NewportCounty