MATCH REPORT: Luton Town 2-3 Newport County

Newport County twice came from behind to beat Championship opposition Luton Town 3-2, as we booked our place in round two of the EFL Cup.

Carlos Mendes Gomes put Luton 1-0 up before Lewis Collins levelled for County, before Tom Lockyer made it 2-1 to the hosts and Chanka Zimba's first Newport goal pulled it back to 2-2.

James Waite poked home from close range with just under 15 minutes to play was the decisive strike as County progressed.

Luton started the stronger at Kenilworth Road, with Admiral Muskwe and Luke Berry both having tame efforts from inside the box kept out by Joe Day.

Louis Watson also struck narrowly wide for the Hatters and Day was needed to make a fine diving save to his left to punch away Berry's curler from the edge of the box.

Cameron Jerome, Tom Lockyer and Muskwe would all have half-chances for the home side before they broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark.

Mendes Gomes let fly from distance and his effort was too powerful for Day in the County goal, as Luton took the lead in impressive fashion.

Their lead didn't last long though, as Collins levelled matters six minutes later.

County broke at pace and worked the ball to Aaron Lewis on the right wing who chopped inside his marker and laid the ball off to Collins who side-footed home into the bottom left corner from just inside the box for 1-1.

Luton skipper Lockyer flicked an effort wide from the left of the box in first-half stoppage time.

Town had the first effort at goal of the second half too, but Jerome curled narrowly wide of the far post from outside the left of the box.

And Luton regained the lead five minutes into the second half as Lockyer found the back of the net from a tight angle from close range at the left of the box. 

That advantage didn't last long either though, as just two minutes later Zimba found space in the box after a through ball from Sam Bowen and slotted home into the left of the goal to make it 2-2. 

Second-half substitute Carlton Morris had a good opening to make it 3-2, but he volleyed over from close range after a cross from fellow sub introduction Elliot Thorpe.

In fact, it was County who made it 3-2, as Waite poked home from point-blank range. 

The forward won the ball high up the pitch with impressive pressing before laying the ball off to Zimba. 

Zimba tried an effort that was spilled by Luton keeper Matt Macey into the path of Waite who couldn't and didn't miss. 

County almost made it 4-2 soon after, but Offrande Zanzala's strike was deflected over after a surging run from the forward. 

Luton Town: Matt Macey, Tom Lockyer (C), Luke Berry (Harry Cornick '63), Cauley Woodrow, Henri Lansbury (Gabe Osho '63), Carlos Mendes Gomes (Elliot Thorpe '45), Admiral Muskwe, Reece Burke (Josh Williams '72), Dion Pereira, Louie Watson, Cameron Jerome (Carlton Morris '63)

Subs not used: Harry Isted, Josh Allen, Casey Pettit, Zack Nelson

Newport County: Joe Day, Priestley Farquharson (Cameron Norman '53), Declan Drysdale, Mickey Demetriou (C), Aaron Lewis, Adam Lewis, Robbie Willmott, Sam Bowen (Scot Bennett '63), James Waite, Chanka Zimba (Aaron Wildig '78), Lewis Collins (Offrande Zanzala '63)

Subs not used: Nick Townsend, Matt Dolan, Will Evans, Omar Bogle, Tom Stokes