Newport County played out a 0-0 draw with Leyton Orient in their last outing of 2022 at Rodney Parade, in a close game that could have gone either way against the table toppers.

After a closely contested opening phase, Nathan Moriah-Welsh had Orient sweating as he sent in a dangerous cross, which Lawrence Vigoroux did well to claim with Offrande Zanzala in space in the box.

Cameron Norman then sent in a whipped cross, once again aimed for Zanzala, which was well cleared by Omar Beckles.

County were starting to put the pressure on and the next chance fell their way. Aaron Lewis twisted and turned on the edge of the area to tee up Omar Bogle, whose goal-bound effort was well blocked.

Norman was proving to be a real threat, and after a driving run cutting in from the right, he released a left-footed strike which went wide of the left-hand post.

Joe Day was brought into action on 30 minutes, doing excellently well to get down low and stop Aaron Drinan’s shot that looked certain to nestle in the bottom corner.

After recycling the resulting corner-kick, Beckles crossed for Charlie Kelman, who wasted a good headed chance and sent it over the bar.

Just before half-time County had another brilliant chance. Scot Bennett’s cross was nudged goal-bound by Declan Drysdale, with the ball being kept out by a combination of goalkeeper and post, before falling to Bogle only for the striker to see his scuffed shot saved again.

The visitors had the first effort of the second half through Theodore Archibald’s left footed curler. It was straight at Day though and easily held.

County went straight up the other end with Adam Lewis putting Zanzala one-on-one with the ‘keeper. The linesman, however, decided to put his flag up, much to the dismay of the home supports, who were out in their numbers for this one.

Newport had a half-chance midway through the second half, when Norman dug out a cross on the right-hand side, he had Aaron Lewis and Bogle busting a gut to get onto it. Vigoroux got their first though, much to the relief of his team-mates.

Norman went for goal himself moments later, but it was an ambitious effort, half-volleying from outside the 18-yard box, with the ball flying harmlessly wide.

Idris El-Mizouni found space in the box with 20 minutes remaining, but saw his shot blocked by a last-ditch County challenge, before Archibald’s cross from the byline missed the head of Beckles.

The visitors spurned a great chance to take the lead just before the 80-minute mark. El-Mizouni was clean through, decided to square for Archibald who had an open goal, but the pass was overhit and the chance wasted.


Newport County XI: Day (GK), Norman, Drysdale, Farquharson, Demetriou (c), Adam Lewis (Wildig, 77’), Aaron Lewis, Bennett, Moriah-Welsh, Bogle (Evans, 82’), Zanzala (Collins, 82’).

Subs not used: Townsend (GK), Bowen, Willmott, Waite.


Leyton Orient XI: Vigoroux (GK), James, Happe, Clay, Archibald, Moncur (Brown, 65’), El Mizouni, Drinan, Beckles (c), Kelman (Wareham, 68’), Hunt (Ogie, 80’).

Subs not used: Sargeant (GK), Smyth, Pratley, Duke-McKenna.


Referee: Peter Wright

Assistant referee: Samuel Ogles

Assistant referee: Lisa Rashid

Fourth official: Andrew Fox