MATCH REPORT: Newport County 0-2 Grimsby Town

County were beaten 2-0 by Grimsby on Saturday as our winning run came to an end.

Brynn Morris gave the Mariners the lead midway through the second half before Harry Clifton rolled the ball home to wrap up the three points.

County huffed and puffed and Cameron Norman had the best chance for County, heading an effort at the back post across goal which appeared to have crossed the line, but no goal was awarded.

Grimsby had the first chance of the match through Lewis Richardson, who played the ball out wide, got into the box and headed Brendan Kiernan’s cross high over the bar.

Gavan Holahan was the next to try his luck, however his cross-shot from just outside of the penalty area was block and cleared away.

County goalkeeper Nick Townsend made a fine save to deny Clifton moments later, diving to his left to stop the ball flying into the top corner.

Thierry Nevers had the hosts’ first meaningful attempt at goal on ten minutes, cutting inside and beating two defenders before flashing a shot high and wide.

Omar Bogle tried a curled effort midway through the first half after receiving a through ball from Nevers, however, it looped just over the top left post.

The frontman then won a free kick just on the edge of the box, and, after dusting himself down, he whipped a shot over the wall but into the palms of Max Crocombe.

Bogle was inches away from giving the Exiles the lead on 25 minutes, after controlling Mickey Demetriou’s long throw-in, he hit a fierce shot on the volley which deflected and flew just wide of the left hand post.

Anthony Driscoll-Glennon had the first attempt of the second half, after the ball fell to him on the edge of the box he volleyed a left-footed shot wide of the far-right post.

Up the other end the hosts looked to counter and after James Waite found Nevers in space outside the area, he fired a powerful shot at goal but it drifted wide.

Declan Drysdale had to make a goal-saving block on 55 minutes, stretching to stop Richardson after the forward got on the end of a Ryan Taylor header.

Grimsby captain Luke Waterfall then saw his header fall wide after beating James Clarke to an in-swinging cross from Driscoll-Glennan.

Morris then gave the visitors the lead on 63 minutes. From a free-kick he hit a stunning low drive straight into the bottom left corner, leaving Townsend rooted and giving his side the lead.

Clifton then wrapped up the points for Grimsby after twisting and turning inside the penalty area before poxing the ball past Townsend.

The County 'keeper had to be at full stretch to prevent it from becoming three late on, before Lewis Collins blazed over with a snapshot as the clock ticked down.

NEWPORT COUNTY XI: Townsend (GK), Norman, Drysdale (Collins, 70’), Clarke, Demetriou ©, Aaron Lewis (Zimba, 80’), Bennett (Willmott, 46’), Waite, Moriah-Welsh, Nevers (Evans, 63’), Bogle.

Subs not used:  Day (GK), Farquharson, Dolan.

GRIMSBY TOWN XI: Crocombe, Efete, Driscoll-Glennon, Waterfall ©, Holahan (Maher '90), Clifton, Morris, Richardson (Simmonds '72), Smith (Orsi, 88), Kiernan (Green '90), Taylor.

Subs not used: Battersby (GK), Wearne, Hun


Referee: Scott Oldham

Assistant referee: Dean Treleaven               

Assistant referee: Lisa Rashid

Fourth official: Kevin Morris