MATCH REPORT: Newport County 1-1 Bradford City

Newport County drew 1-1 in an entertaining encounter against high-flying Bradford City on Saturday in League Two.

Andy Cook opened the scoring for the away side before Mickey Demetriou's second-half leveller on a wet afternoon at Rodney Parade.

Newport had a great chance on seven minutes after Charlie McNeill’s driven pass found Cameron Norman down the right flank.

He fizzed a cross-shot toward the far post which was well blocked, and after it came out to Harry Charsley he got it stuck under his feet for it to be cleared.

Bradford counter-attacked on 11 minutes to dangerous effect and Dara Costelloe rolled a teasing cross across the six-yard line, however, no one was there to tap it in.

County’s best chance fell to Priestley Farquharson after Aaron Lewis dropped his shoulder to fizz a ball across goal, Farquharson, though, failed to get a good contact on it.

The visitors should have been reduced to ten men on 20 minutes after goalkeeper Harry Lewis came out of his area to catch the ball, but the referee gave a yellow card.

From the resulting set-piece Lewis curled a fierce shot over the wall but onto the roof of the net.

Liam Ridehalgh gave the referee another one to think about after sliding in on Norman with a tough challenge. Once again it was just yellow.

The visitors took an unlikely lead after a loose ball fell to Cook outside the area, with his neat turn beating Demetriou before he finished well past Joe Day.

Sam Stubbs took aim with a powerful volley on 39 minutes, Joe Day was there to meet it with a safe palm away from danger.

The Exiles threatened early in the second half through Nathan Moriah-Welsh, who had a couple of close range efforts blocked with one of them being a shout for handball.

Charsley spurned a golden chance just before the 60-minute mark. Omar Bogle found space on the edge of the box firstly but scuffed his shot.

That effort found Charsley six yards from goal, who shrugged off his man only to send his shot well over the bar.

County levelled shortly after and it was all about the delivery from captain Mickey Demetriou.

From his throw he played it to Moriah-Welsh, who gave it straight back, and from there he sent in a curing delivery which went all the way in.

Costelloe created some space as the game opened up on 78 minutes, jinking inside to send a wicked shot towards goal which Day did well to hold.

Newport then had an opportunity of their own through Moriah-Welsh, who cut inside to curl one into the far car, sadly though, it was headed clear.

Scot Bennett tried an ambitious volley on 81 minutes after the ball fell to him from a corner. His effort from the edge of the area flew just over.

Substitute Will Evans saw a close range chance blocked late on after good play from Aaron Wildig down the left-hand side.

He had an even better chance in stoppage time with a header from Norman's brilliant delivery which sailed over the bar in the last act of an end-to-end game.

Newport County XI: Day (GK), Norman, Baker, Farquharson, Demetirou (c), Lewis, Bennett, Moriah-Welsh (Wildig, 82'), Charsley (Waite, 82'), McNeill (Evans, 87'), Bogle.

Subs not used: Townsend (GK), Clarke, Bowen, Evans, Rai.


Bradford City XI: Lewis (GK), Halliday, Platt, Smallwood (c) (East, 82'), Ridehalgh, Gilliead (Banks, 73'), Walker, Costelloe (Chapman, 82'), Clayton, Stubbs, Cook.

Subs not used: Doyle (GK), Kelly, Crichlow, Bola.


Referee: Sam Allison

Assistant referee: Mark Derrien

Assistant referee: Abbas Khan

Fourth official: Marvyn Amphlett