Match Report: Tranmere Rovers vs Newport County AFC

Newport County beat Tranmere Rovers 3-1 at a wet and cold Prenton Park with goals from Wildig, McNeill and Kavanagh.

Newport County AFC kicked off the match against Tranmere Rovers with a few changes that sparked quite some interest amongst supporters. Will Evans playing in a Left Wing Back position and no sign of Aaron Lewis and Priestley Farquharson in the team meant the Exiles shaped up a little differently to what fans may have expected.

The first ten minutes of the game were relatively uneventful, with both teams taking their time to settle into the match. Tranmere looked to be settling quicker with heavy possession early on but were unable to create any clear-cut chances.

In the 24th minute, Aaron Wildig broke the deadlock for Newport, scoring his 2nd goal of the season. Harry Charsley played Wildig through and he slotted home neatly from the far side.

The goal seemed to spark some attacking pressure and an increased tempo from a hungry Tranmere side, who began to push forward in search of an equalizer almost immediately from the restart. Newport, however, were ready for the response and defended well.

A quick break from Newport after some loose Tranmere possession saw them on the attack again in the 26th minute, but they were unable to make anything of the opportunity.

In the 29th minute, Charlie McNeil made it 2-0 for Newport County AFC with his first goal of the season for the Exiles. A set piece bent in from Aaron Wildig saw the ball bounce around in the box like a pinball machine before being slammed home by the Manchester United Loanee.

Tranmere responded well again at the reset with a good spell of pressure but were quickly on the back foot as Omar Bogle broke away down the left-hand side and sending the ball narrowly wide on the 35th minute.

Another good spell of play down the right from Cameron Norman and Charlie McNeil led to a Mickey Demetriou throw which came to naught on the stroke of halftime.

The first half saw three minutes of added time, during which Tranmere came close to scoring with their seventh corner. However, this led to a scrap between two Tranmere players, which was quickly resolved by the referee.

At halftime, the score stood at Tranmere Rovers 0 – 2 Newport County AFC.


Second Half

Tranmere rovers got us underway for the second half with a Yellow early on for Scot Bennett in the 47th minute.

Tranmere built up play from the free-kick and created a chance, smothered by Joe Day. Tranmere appeared to be on the front foot for the first five to ten minutes of the restart, with a loose through ball by Josh Hawkes collected by Joe Day yet again.

Heading into the 52 minute it’s obvious that Charlie McNeil has been running his socks off up top, perhaps a newfound confidence after getting his first goal for the club.

End to end, however ball goes dead after a scuffed shot by Jake Burton goes wide for Tranmere.

Exiles Travelling fans in good voice as usual as ‘Amber Army’ rings around the away end, arguably out singing the Tranmere fans.

Newport County AFC win a free kick that is met by Matt Baker who tries an overhead kick that narrowly misses in the 66th minute.

First Newport County substitution is Nathan Moriah-Welsh on his Birthday for Harry Charsley, great shift put in from Charsley today.

A second substitution shortly after with Charlie McNeill coming off for Calum Kavanagh, Exiles standing ovation for McNeill’s performance.

Lovely one-two from NMW and Will Evans which sets up a glorious chance but it’s too far ahead of Norman to finish the play with a goal.

Callum Kavanagh makes it 3-0 in the 81-minute assisted by a neat ball through from Aaron Wildig.

More changes for County, James Waite and Kiban Rai come on for Omar Bogle and Aaron Wildig.

The fourth official indicated three minutes of additional time at the end of the 90.

County concede which makes it 3-1 after an own goal from Mickey Demetriou late on after he deflects Regan Hendry’s shot into his own net.

Full Time Tranmere Rovers 1-3 Newport County AFC.