Report | A tough battle with Barrow ends in a one all draw

The Exiles battled hard with ten men against a strong Barrow side to secure a share of the points at Rodney Parade.

Newport County started the game fast and strong, looking for a response from last week’s 4-1 defeat at Crawley.

Payne, who made his first start for the Exiles made an instant impact when he blocked Tiensia’s early cross away for a Barrow corner. Which was also defended pragmatically by the County back-line.

The referee stamped his authority on the game in just the fourth minute when Delaney committed a foul, the referee handed out his first booking of the day.

After the Exiles defended Barrow’s flurry of attacks well, it was County’s turn to try and cause some issues. Newport had various attempts on goal but none which would trouble Farman in the Barrow net.

The referee awarded a penalty to Newport in the 14th minute when a loose pass at the back was pounced upon by Evans who was fouled in the area to Newport supporters delight.

Omar Bogle stepped up to try and put County ahead, but his strike bounced off the outside of the post and the score remained level at 0-0.

Barrow pressed down the left side via Tiensia but each ball was cleared away or behind by Adam Lewis, who stood strong to ensure no trouble came to Townsend in goal.

In the 39th minute the deadlock was broken by a wonderful strike from Shane McLoughlin. Lewis Payne beat his marker and passed the ball into McLoughlin's feet who took a touch and blasted it home to put County ahead.

The drama didn’t end there, in the 43rd minute Newport captain, Ryan Delaney received a second yellow card for a foul on Dom Telford just outside the Newport box. This of course forced Newport Manager Graham Coughlan to make a change to his side. Waite came off and Drysdale came on to fill the vacant position.


County had a tough 45 minutes ahead of them, aiming to cling on to those all-important three points.

Newport County were awarded an early free kick for a foul on Bogle, which amounted to nothing that would trouble Farman.

Both sides made changes in the 61st minute as each team were showing signs of fatigue. Lewis Payne who had made a fantastic mark on the game made way for Josh Seberry for the Exiles.

It wasn’t until the 68th minute that Barrow made a threatening run into the box. Adam Lewis brought down the player and the bluebirds were awarded a penalty. The spot kick was converted by Dean Campbell.

Newport fought hard in the remaining minutes to ensure they wouldn’t concede again, while Barrow utilised their extra man and launched attack after attack on the County defence.

While Barrow had the lion’s share of possession in the second half, it was the Exiles that arguably had the best chance to go on and win the game, but each shot was blocked and deflected behind for corner kicks.

Eight minutes were added on at the end of the ninety and Barrow launched a last couple of attacks, while these were on target, Nick Townsend made some fantastic saves to keep the score level and ensure County would share the points.



Starting XI: Towsend (GK), Lewis, Delaney ©, Clarke, Payne, McLoughlin, Morris, Bennett, Waite, Bogle, Evans. Subs: Maxted (GK), Drysdale (43rd), Seberry (61st), Rai, Thomas (85th), Wood, Bondswell (85th)

Attendance: 3539 (116 away)