Report |

Three first-half goals saw MK Dons defeat Newport County 3-0 at the Stadium MK on Saturday afternoon.

Manager Graham Coughlan made one change from the win over Gillingham last weekend, with James Waite coming into the starting eleven in place of Harry Charsley. 

The Exiles came into this one on a high after a 1-0 win at home against The Gills last Saturday, and MK Dons' last fixture saw them hold Wrexham to a 1-1 draw at home.

The first chance of the game came from Newport County just two minutes in. The ball was met by Will Evans who found his way through the home-sides defence but his cross was blocked.

Just a minute later, a chance for MK Dons arose. Stephen Wearne was found inside the box, but his shot was blocked. 

In the eighth minute, The Dons came close to taking the lead. A rebound found the path of Dan Kemp but his shot went just wide of the woodwork.

Just one minute later, Kyran Lotfthouse's effort narrowly missed the bottom left of the goal.

MK Dons made it 1-0 just 10 minutes into the game. A rebounded shot was met by Dan Kemp, who struck a forceful shot, firing the ball right into the back of the visitor's net.  

Three minutes later, a nice passage of play led to an opportunity for the Exiles. A ball from Aaron Wildig was played through to Seb Palmer-Houlden, but his chance was blocked by Cameron Norman. 

In the 22nd minute, MK Dons doubled their lead. Jack Payne struck the ball from range, with his shot going into the back of the Exiles net off the post. 

At the half-hour mark, the hosts made it 3-0. A ball from Stephen Wearne was met inside the box by Alex Gilbey, who slotted the ball past Nick Townsend. 

10 minutes later, the hosts had another shot. An attempted header from Gilbey travelled goalwards, but was comfortably claimed by Townsend. 

The Dons forced another chance just two minutes later, as Jack Payne sent a fired shot towards the goal but his attempt was dragged wide of the woodwork. 

Just before the break, a cross was met by Wearne who connected with his head, but his chance was quickly claimed by Townsend. 

Half Time

The first chance of the half came from the Exiles, as Luke Jephcott looked to head the ball towards the goal but his shot was stopped by Michael Kelly.

Six minutes later, the home-side's first chance of the second half was nearly sucessful. The ball found an unmarked Dan Kemp who struck the ball towards the goal, but his shot was stopped by Townsend. 

Another opportunity for the hosts came a few moments after, as Kemp unleashed a shot and sends past Townsend and into the Exiles goal, but was flagged for offside. 

In the 71st minute, the hosts tried to increase their lead. As Ellis Harrison's fired shot rippled the back of the net. But again, was flagged for offside. 

Two minutes later, the Exiles forced a chance as an intercepted pass was clamied by Offrande Zanzala, but his low shot went just wide of the post.

In the 88th minute, Newport continued to push for a goal through Jephcott, however his effort was tipped around the far post by Kelly. 

Although the Exiles pushed for some last minute chances, The Dons managed to hold out for the three points. 

Full Time 

The Exiles return to Sky Bet League Two action on Tuesday night, as they travel to North Yorkshire to face Harrogate Town at the EnviroVent Stadium (7:45PM). 

MK Dons XI: Kelly (GK), O'Hora, Tomlinson, Harvie, Lofthouse, Payne (78'), Bate (78'), Norman, Gilbey (C) (, Kemp (60'), Wearne(60').

Substitutes: Harness, Williams(78'), Harrison(60'), Robson (78'), Tezgel (60'), Dennis, Tripp.   

Newport County XI: Townsend (GK), Clarke, Bennett (C) (59') , Baker(45'), Lewis, Waite(45'), Wildig, Morris, McLoughlin (17'), Evans, Palmer-Houlden (58'). 

Substitutes: Maxted, Payne (17'), Zanzala(59'), Rai, Jameson(45'), Jephcott(45'), Bondswell (58'). 

Attendance: 6,354 (512 away)