MATCH REPORT: Morecambe 1-0 Newport County (FA Cup)

Aaron Wildig's second-half strike saw Newport bow out of the FA Cup in the first-round stage.

It was a difficult first half to negotiate for both teams, but especially us as we had to contend with the wind being against us, with Joe Day, in particular, facing the problem of a lot of his kicks down the pitch being blown back in his direction.

The conditions ed to a surplus of clear-cut opportunities for both sides, although Morecambe did start the brighter.

Greg Leigh warmed the palms of Day in the second minute but the left-back's strike from a long way out lacked power and Day had the simple task of just picking the ball up.

Alfie McCalmont twice had shots deflected out for corners in the opening 10 minutes - first over then wide, but County dealt with both set-pieces with minimum fuss.

Jake Cain had our first notable chance but his half-volley from the edge of the box was palmed away well by Morecambe keeper Jokull Andresson.

Andresson was called into action again on the half-hour mark but again he did well to push away a shot, this time Dom Telford's left-footed curler from the right-hand side of the box.

We then twice struck narrowly wide of Andresson's right-hand post. First, Finn Azaz had a shot deflected narrowly past it before Courtney Baker-Richardson fizzed an effort past said post as County kept the pressure up, but that was as good as it got for the two teams at the Mazuma in the first half. 

The second half started just as the first ended: with a County man striking narrowly wide of the right-hand post. Aaron Lewis the player to suffer that fate on this occasion.

Morecambe then came straight down the other end, with top scorer Cole Stockton being denied by Day before Cain volleyed wide of the far post and Telford curled over the bar before five minute of the second half had passed.

Stockton and McCalmont then saw ambitious attempts from a fair way out clear the crossbar as the weather carried on worsening in Morecambe.

The game's breakthrough came in the 67th minute though when Aaron Wildig, who came on as a substitute seconds earlier, ghosted in at the back post and converted from close range after a low ball in from the right from Ryan McLaughlin.

County almost got an immediate equaliser but Baker-Richardson's acrobatic effort from inside the area was deflected just wide.

The final few momentas were chaotic as Newport chased the equaliser and Morecambe looked to kill the game off. Wildig tried to lob Joe Day from a fair way out, but it dropped wide while Azaz shot over for County as the leveller to force a replay eluded them.

Morecambe: Jokull Andresson, Ryan McLaughlin (Ryan Cooney '83), Greg Leigh, Anthony O'Connor (C), Callum Jones, Cole Stockton, Jonah Ayunga, Arthur Gnahoua (Toumani Diagouraga '78) Adam Phillips (Aaron Wildig '67), Alfie McCalmont, Scot Wootton

Subs not used: Kyle Letheren, Wes McDonald, Ryan Delaney, Jacob Mensah, Liam Gibson, Shayon Harrison

Newport County: Joe Day, Cameron Norman, James Clarke, Mickey Demetriou (C), Aaron Lewis (Lewis Collins '83), Robbie Willmott, Jake Cain (Kevin Ellison '77), Finn Azaz, Oliver Cooper, Dom Telford, Courtney Baker-Richardson

Subs not used: Nick Townsend, Ryan Haynes, Ed Upson, Matt Dolan, Alex Fisher, Timmy Abraham, Christopher Missilou