MATCH REPORT: Hartlepool United 0-1 Newport County

For the second time in a month, Mickey Demetriou scored a 90th-minute header to earn County a huge three-points, this time at relegation-threatened Hartlepool.

In a game of few chances, County made the final one count as captain Demetriou rose highest to flick on Aaron Lewis' left-sided corner which nestled into the Hartlepool net for a crucial 1-0 win. 

Hartlepool had the first half chance of the contest, but David Ferguson struck his volley from a fair distance narrowly wide of Joe Day's right post with Day untroubled by the ambitious attempt. 

Calum Kavanagh almost had a superb opening for County on the 20 minute mark, but just as it looked like he'd be presented with a one-on-one opportunity in the Hartlepool box, the ball bounced behind him.

Kavanagh adjusted well to still get a shot off, but Hartlepool had recovered and the strike was deflected behind for a corner that was headed wide by Omar Bogle.

That was just about it for the first half though and the second half provided little more.

The second period started with Cam Norman smashing over the bar after he worked some space for himself in the area when picked out by Aaron Lewis' right-sided corner. 

Hartlepool had their first sight at goal 10 minutes after the break, but Dan Kemp struck over the top of the goal from close range after he was found by Ferguson's low cross from the right.

Connor Jennings also had half an opening for the hosts, although he fired wide from the left of the box.

County did manage to force a save out of Hartlepool keeper Jakub Stolarczyk as he did well to push away Harry Charsley's header from close range after Lewis' cross from the left.

Aaron Lewis did almost provide late dramatics four minuted from time though, as his bursting run down the left created an opening with the powerful shot tipped over by Stolarczyk. 

And two minutes later Newport went close again, but Offrande Zanzala nodded Norman's ball in over the bar. 

Newport kept the pressure though and Aaron Lewis again went close with a volley that was saved by Stolarczyk after Charlie McNeill's ball in from the right. 

Thankfully, Demetriou popped up in second-half stoppage time and it could have even been 2-0 when Offrande Zanzala was put through one-on-one, but Stolarczyk saved well. 

Hartlepool United: Jakub Stolarczyk, David Ferguson, Taylor Foran, Peter Hartley (C), Edon Pruti, Mohammed Sylla, Mouhamed Niang, Ollie Finney (Leon Clarke '63), Dan Kemp (Tayt Trusty '88), Connor Jennings (Jack Hamilton '82), Josh Umerah

Subs not used: Ben Killip, Louis Stephenson, Brendan Kiernan, Joe Grey

Newport County: Joe Day, James Clarke, Priestley Farquharson, Mickey Demetriou (C), Cameron Norman, Aaron Lewis, Scot Bennett, Matt Baker, Harry Charsley (Will Evans '72), Omar Bogle (Charlie McNeill '72), Calum Kavanagh (Offrande Zanzala '72)

Subs not used: Evan Ovendale, Evan Cadwallader, Sam Bowen, Nathan Moriah-Welsh